Monday, September 26, 2011

'My Day"

So today is my birthday and I am ok with admitting that I usually love my birthday, I love cake and presents and phone calls and attention. Jim always takes me to a cool restaurant and gets me good presents and really makes me feel special. This was the 1st time in 11 years that we have been apart on "my Day". He still sent a cool gift and called and did everything he could to make it special. I was ok with spending the day with friends and having coffee and maybe taking myself for a pedicure, but Connor's endoscopy was bad and they needed to see him, and the Dr. is only in clinic on Monday, so off to San Diego I went. I'm not gonna lie, I went with a begrudging attitude, after al this is "my day"right? I shouldn't have to drive 3 hours just to talk to a Dr. But i went, because I am a Mom and thats what we do :) The drive down was actually nice, I spent time calling people, and listening to music and enjoying my morning. I knew the Dr. planned on retesting Connor's allergies, but I had forgotten how awful it is. I literally had to hold him down while the nurse pricked him close to 30 times. IT was fairly obvious almost immediately that his allergies have gotten much worse. a year and a half ago he tested positive for 5 allergies, today it was 17. These don't include foods that his body just rejects and tries to fight off, these are just straight up allergies. They are different levels of severity, ranging from eggs and peanuts (deadly) to peas (might cause a rash) but that makes trying to do a food trial very difficult. I left the Dr, feeling depressed and very discouraged. We will have to go back in 3 weeks, and then 3 weeks after that and then again 6 weeks after that, and any # of other times if the Dr. finds anything else worrisome in his bloodwork. I felt so frustrated that my day had turned out so cruddy.
Now both of my boys are in bed, and as I tucked Colin in he gave me a kiss and a hug and told me "Connor and i are so lucky to have you for a Mommy" and I asked him why and he replied "because you always do whatever you have to, to take care of us" In that short moment I realized that my birthday is just a day like any other, and I don't need a day to make me feel special. I have 2 little boys who mean the world to me, and they feel the same way about me. It is still a long road ahead of us, and I still feel discouraged about Connor's allergies, but the reality is that things could always be worse. My situation is not even close to the worst in the world. I am so grateful for his little reminder.

1 comment: